Sunday 12 June 2011

About A-OnePakKopi.blogspot.com Part 3

Dedicating this "A-OnePakKopi.blogspot.com" to the following persons


With Danau Alai’s allegorical relevance in describing the role of this blog as a cyber forum for human interactions, I wish to DEDICATE this blog spot to the two distinguish translators-cum-writers of "Danau Alai" into Iban language. They are namely: the late Tan Sri Gerunsin Lembat, and the late Mr. Pancras Eddy [father of my former stenographer Ms. Caroline Eddy and her two lawyer-brothers and my good friends namely: Mr. Stanley Eddy and Mr. Clement Eddy].


I also DEDICATE this blog to some of the people in my personal life whose life-examples, teachings, advice, guidance, and mentoring did help me in shaping "my person". They are as as follows.


ESPECIALLY to my beloved late father Belon Anak Salang (a.k.a Apai Entunie)who was the family provider, an adventurer in his heyday, an 'un-schooled educator' who became Cheremin Komiti Sekula Pantu 1950s-1970s, famous local Tuai Sabong and Pengatur-laya rumah-panjai, barter-trader, pepper-planter-cum-rubber-tapper, and my mentor in jungle-survival, AS WELL AS to my 'un-schooled' beloved aged mother Bunga Anak Enggat - An ever faithful ‘home-engineer’and helper to my late father, albeit being grumpy mother ON ACCOUNT of their life-long parental up-bringing and loving cares, great sacrifices and supports toward my education(for 13 years) and that (11 years) of my elder sibling [retired Nursing Sister Kupa Belon].


To the late Mr. Nicholas Rangkap Mai a.k.a. “Apai Racha” who was my former Headmaster in St. Christopher’s Primary School Debak (1960-1962), and my ‘disciplinarian' in passing the 'Primary VI Common Entrance Examination. In high spirit of "self-help", this hard working disciplinarian-gentleman motivated, showed and led the "community of teachers-parents-and-students of St. Christopher's School" in erecting one totally new class-rooms block cum office for the mission school throughout 1961-1962.


To (uncle) Mr. W. Rufus Nanang a.k.a. “Apai Atan” who was former Assistant Director of Education Sarawak, voted “Tokoh-Guru” 2011, whose brilliance and story in pursuit of knowledge and higher education [inspite of many odds especially so during The Japanese Occupation] were full of inspiration to me in school. His son Jonathan Nanang (or Atan) and wife who lived in Ladbrooke Groove London (1980/1981) provided me with space to sleep each time I went to London from University of Buckingham.


To (yak) Rev. Canon Lawrence Lawin Anak Enggat for being my spiritual inspirer [in absentia] who is mother’s youngest brother sent by Anglican Diocese of Kuching to North Borneo [now Sabah] in 1959 to live and work as missionary in Jesselton [now KK], Sandakan, Kinabatangan and Beluran until his retirement several years ago. [By the way, he came together with granndson Ethan Ezra bin Nikolas to visit my mother and spent the recent Gawai Dayak with us in the village].


To Mr. Hugh Herbison [nick-named Mr. Slanting] from  BC Canada , Colombo Plan teacher and former Principal in Gov’t. Sec. School Simanggang (1966-1967) whose writing in my autograph shaped my philosophical outlook on life. Quoting Lord Alfred Tennyson, Mr. Herbison wrote: I’ll drink life to the least. I’ve suffered and enjoyed much with those who loved me as well as alone. I’m part of all I’ve met, yet every experience is an arch where through the gleams of the untraveled world whose horizon for ever fades as I move on.”


To Dr. Gunther - German Medical Officer attached SGH Simanggang (1964) who treated me for boken bones (right foot), and for his valuable advice against smoking to be a "strong, healthy, and good sportman”. Although I'm a non-smoker, but I’m a “passive one".


To (my cousin) Retired Asst.Com. of Police (ACP) Nicholas Rateh who was then the 2nd Officer-in-Command Police Field Force (PFF) Miri Camp (1968-1969) for his “silent-influence” which motivated me to take up “gun-carrying-career” in 1970 until my resignation (on account of further study) in early 1980.


TO ALL OF THEM, I AM INDEBTED.


CHEERS!!

3 comments:

  1. Showing your respect and to thank those who had great influence on your life. It gives a lot of meaning to the background of your blog.

    Hope that new Iban bloggers in the future be inspired to tell readers why they blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging comment.
    Words and actions are god-given ways to express how we feel in the state of happiness, sorrow, anger ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. W.R Nanang sounds familiar....

    ReplyDelete